Thursday, August 6, 2009

Yellow Trucker

Starting a new job is always fun. You never know who you are going to meet and which friends you have in common. For the past two days I have been in a pointless computer training orientation. Believe it or not, the instructor asked if we all knew how to copy and paste. We are working on MAC computers so some things are different from PCs but copy and paste is a pretty simple concept. Before the copy and paste lesson, we were introduced to chatting online. You know, AIM or Bonjour (our district’s chatting that correlates with AIM).  So somehow, I remembered my screen name from AIM and the password. I only got this account when I was in the 6th or 7th grade. I was pretty impressed that I still knew it. I logged on with everyone else in the training. Our instructor told us to IM someone to try it out. At this time, I got a message from a guy across the room. He asked me if I understood how to chat. I told him “yeah, I learned it in the 6th grade. I think I have it down.” Yellow Truck proceeded to make small talk with me asking about my job.

 

The instructor continued on after a few IM conversations and a phone call in the middle of our training. Yellow Truck and I made fun of her because I thought that she was being very unprofessional. I still can’t believe I had to go through this training. He continued to make small talk and asked me if I wanted a school t-shirt. Yellow Truck is a football coach by the way.  Of course I want a t-shirt! Have you seen the way I dress? If I can wear flip-flops and a school t-shirt with jeans on Friday, I’m going to. Yellow Truck said he would look for one after football practice that night. I was excited. A free t-shirt is a free t-shirt.

 

On the second day of the pointless training, I got there at 8:20 a.m. because I like to be early or at the very least, on time. The training wasn’t supposed to start until 8:30 a.m. but after at least 30 minutes of our instructor ichatting and talking on the phone AGAIN, she finally starts sometime after 9:00 a.m. Everyone is looking around and sending IMs asking why she is starting late and making a mental list of everything they could be doing right now, like SLEEPING.  It’s getting close to the end of summer. The sleeping in days are getting few.

 

Yellow Truck IMs me again. I asked him if it is his first year teaching and we talked about how much we have to do to get our classrooms ready for the school year. Very romantic if you ask me. He keeps telling me that if I need help in my classroom, he would be happy to help even though he has no idea where my school building is and he’s a first year teacher that doesn’t have his room ready yet. He hinted around about me helping him in his classroom too. I had to tell him that I have a lot to do and I’ll be pushing it to get all of my stuff ready before the first day.

 

We finally get to take a break from the wonderful training and I happened to see Yellow Truck in the hallway. He points out his classroom just incase I have time to help him later.

 

After the break, he sends me a picture of a cat with a fruit helmet. I’m thinking it was a lime that was cut out in the shape of a helmet. Weird. I guess he was using it as a conversation starter but my response was “weird, is that a cat?” 

 

I’m not really sure which day or what time during the training, it was really long and boring and pointless and I was sleepy and I didn’t get paid for this. Yellow Truck got his name because he told me that he was the cool guy that drives a bright yellow truck. He told me that if I wanted to, I could be cool too and he could give me a ride to the school sometime. Maybe go out to lunch or dinner after the evening practice was over? Yellow Truck said I would for sure get a t-shirt if I went out with him. I told you, I love a good t-shirt with flip-flops and jeans but I just don’t know if riding in cool yellow truck is worth it. I may just have to wait until my school orders some for football and buy one then.

 

I have not ridden in the cool yellow truck yet. I’m sure that if  I ever do, which is not likely, you will definitely read about it. Oh, I did survive the pointless computer training where I learned how to copy and paste and ichat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment