Saturday, August 29, 2009

Glitter

The summer before my senior year of high school, my sister was playing in the 6-man All-Star basketball game. She got to meet the All-Star football guys and introduced me to a couple of them. One guy that I met was not playing in the game. His dad was coaching one of the teams. He, Glitter, was going into his junior year of high school. We ended up chatting on AIM (instant messenger) because believe it or not at that time texting was just coming into our lives. (I feel really old.) Before football got into full swing my senior year, Glitter wanted to take me on a date. This is a normal thing except that he lived at least 4 hours away from me. Since he lived so far away and because my family lived literally in the middle of nowhere, I was going to drive to the nearest town that was 45 minutes away to meet him for a 4:00 dinner. At the time, I thought that going on this date was a little weird. I didn’t know him that well and then I found out that his parents did not want him driving that far by himself since he just turned 16. On this date it was Glitter, Glitter’s mom, Glitter’s grandmother, and me. Glitter’s little sister wanted to come really really bad but Glitter finally put his foot down and told her she couldn’t come. Four people on one date is enough!


At the restaurant, his mom and I pretty much carry the conversation. Since Glitter’s dad is a football coach, we had a lot to talk about I guess. Before I leave Glitter gives me a Brighton necklace.


A few weeks later, my high school’s homecoming game is coming up. I only have 4 girls in my class so we are all nominated for homecoming queen. A week before the game the secretary calls me into the front office. When I walk in, I see a dozen pink roses with glitter sprayed on them. Yes, that is where the name Glitter comes from. He has sent me good luck roses. As nice as it was, I think that this is weird because we aren’t even “dating.” We went on one date. I really don’t like getting things from guys anyways and he has now given me two things. I really hope that I let him down gently but I had to tell him it just wasn’t going to work.


Just a little fun information, my school beat his school in 2000 (the year we won state!) The score was 48 to 0! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment